Blood Dawn part VII

Jeu de Cartes Evolutif édité par FFG (et anciennement Jeu de Cartes à Collectionner édité par AEG)

Modérateurs : Magistrats de Jade, Historiens de la Shinri

Marumoto
Gokenin

Blood Dawn part VII

Message par Marumoto » 25 janv. 2004, 22:51

Blood Dawn, Part VII: Soul of the Phoenix

By Rich Wulf

Iuchi Katamari leaned against the wall of the cave, arms folded across his broad chest. His weathered face twisted in thought, pondering the secrets that the rakshasa had revealed. Adisabah, for his part, seemed unconcerned with anything at all. He merely sat cross-legged by his small bowl of herbs and continued to chew his pipe.

“If Iuchiban is a khadi, like you say, then his strength is drawn from ignorance,” Katamari said. “The people of Rokugan do not know how to fight the khadi – if we knew had known to seek his heart then we could have destroyed him easily.”

“So Adisabah thought,” the creature replied. “Adisabah came to Rokugan to fix the mistake that had been made. It was not so easy. The powers of the khadi protect the tsukai… but the powers of the tsukai also protect the khadi. The jailer uses this to his advantage. To find his heart is one thing, to destroy it is another. It tried, once, to kill him. It failed. That is why meat finds Adisabah, many of your lifetimes later, a prisoner.”

“You mentioned a mistake you had made?” Katamari replied. “What mistake?”

Adisabah chuckled and dumped out his pipe again, refilling it from the bowl. “Meat never stops to wonder, stops to think why Adisabah knows the jailer’s secrets? This is not common knowledge, even in the Burning Sands. The jailer’s tale is his own, told to few others. Most who know it lie in the ground, their souls torn to pieces and scattered throughout the cosmos. A rakshasa, fortunately, is not so easy to kill. I suppose that makes Adisabah and the jailer even.”

“What do you mean?” Katamari asked.

Adisabah shrugged. “Adisabah surprised the jailer when it proved so difficult to kill. The jailer knew little of Rakshasas, and Adisabah knew little of humans. You are quite impressive as mortals go. The body may be frail, but your wills are extraordinary. Stronger than steel, if properly tempered in hardship…”

“The Elemental Council will see you now, Mirabu-sama,” Shiba Yoma said, bowing deeply to the Phoenix Champion.

Mirabu returned Yoma’s bow, though he looked past him, at the doors of the Council’s sacred chamber. The Phoenix Champion’s face was weary, haggard. Dark rings hung beneath each eye.

“My lord, I wish you good luck,” Yoma whispered.

“Good luck?” Mirabu asked, glancing at Yoma in surprise. “I am merely meeting with the Council, not marching into battle.”

Yoma chuckled. “If it were nothing more than a battle, Mirabu-sama, you would not need my encouragement. They have grown more difficult of late.”

“With good reason,” Mirabu said, looking to the nearest window. Blood rain still streamed from the sky. The walls of Kyuden Isawa shone a brilliant white, their magic keeping the corruptive rain’s power at bay. “But they have no reason to give me difficulty. All I want are answers.”

“What you ask, I think, is what the Council is least likely to give, Mirabu-sama,” Yoma said sadly. “They are honorable men and women, but they are also proud, and set in their ways. It would be wiser, I think, to treat them with cautious respect rather than confront them, as you tend to do.”

Mirabu looked at Yoma sharply. “Careful, Yoma,” Mirabu replied. “I might think you were criticizing your lord, if I did not know the Shiba trained their samurai to be more intelligent than that.”

Yoma tilted his head thoughtfully, showing no discomfort at Mirabu’s chastisement. “I meant no offense, Mirabu-sama,” he replied. “It is my duty to maintain communication between the Phoenix Champion and the Elemental Council, for the good of all the Phoenix. It is to the clan’s benefit that such communication remain peaceful, thus it is my duty to offer my aid in maintaining it thus. I cannot neglect my duty, my lord.”

Mirabu sighed at Yoma. “Your advice is taken into consideration, Yoma,” he said. “Now take me before the Masters.”

Yoma nodded obediently and led Mirabu into the Council Chamber. The room was dominated by the circular stone table that was the symbol of their office. Mirabu’s eyes widened in surprise as he realized only two of the Five Masters awaited him – Doji Akiko, Master of Water, and Isawa Taeruko, Master of Earth. The Masters rose as Mirabu entered, bowing to the Phoenix Champion. It was not a deep bow, a bow between equals – perhaps a hair less in the Master of Earth’s case. The Phoenix was the only clan in Rokugan where the Clan Champion did not rule unopposed. By tradition the Phoenix Champion stood in a position equal to the Elemental Council in matters of war, and was subject to their dictates in times of peace. It was a compromise the Phoenix Champions often found difficult to accept, and Mirabu was no exception.

“We apologize for delaying this meeting, Mirabu-san,” Isawa Taeruko said as she seated herself at the table again. Taeruko smoothed her long gray hair over one shoulder and fixed the Champion with a wan smile. “The Isawa and Agasha have focused all of their energies upon maintaining a shield of purity over the Phoenix lands, protecting us from this blood rain. Even the Council – especially the Council – must do their part in the ritual. Now it comes our turn to rest. Nakamuro, Ochiai, and Ningen are still focused in prayer but we can take a moment to answer your questions.”

“You knew,” Mirabu said simply. “You knew this was going to happen. It was the only way you could have coordinated the rituals to protect our lands in time.”

“Yes,” Taeruko replied. “A group of magistrates under the directives of Agasha Chieh discovered a Bloodspeaker Cell not two hours’ ride from here. One of their members, a Kuni, interrogated their leader. Before he died, he revealed that the Bloodspeakers have captured the last Ki-Rin, and planned to use its magic to unleash dark magic across the Empire. He did not know the full details, but we were able to surmise the possibilities once we knew the Ki-Rin was involved. The Council is well versed in the potential of maho… Isawa Tadaka taught us that lesson well.”

“Why did you not tell me?” Mirabu asked simply.

“What would you have done?” Akiko replied. “What could you have done?”

“I could have prepared my soldiers for the panic that now consumes our streets,” Mirabu replied.

“And would the people not have panicked, knowing that this was to come?” Taeruko asked coolly.

Mirabu scowled. “I could have recalled our emissaries from foreign lands,” he said. “Unless the spell that protects the Phoenix protects the rest Empire as well. Does it?”

“No,” Taeruko admitted.

“Did you do nothing to warn the others?” Mirabu asked.

“Mirabu, must you criticize every word that we speak?” Taeruko snapped in reply. “Such meaningless behavior is the mark of a dull mind.”

“Of course we would not abandon the Empire to this fate,” Akiko added more courteously, “but our resources were limited. We only had scant hours to act. The loss of any shugenja with the power to deliver a message so swiftly would have drained our resources. We needed our most powerful to remain here, helping to complete the ritual that now protects the souls of our clan.”

“For which I am grateful,” Mirabu replied, more softly. “But still…”

“This is not to say we warned no one,” Akiko added. “We dispatched two of our shugenja, one to Toshi Ranbo, one to Kyuden Doji. One of these was Sezaru himself. We fear even they may not have arrived in time.”

“So we see to our allies and the Emperor,” Mirabu said in a defeated tone. “Let the rest of the Empire burn. Could we not have found even six more messengers so that all the Great Clans could be warned?”

“Would the Lion have believed us?” Taeruko asked. “Would the Scorpion have trusted us?”

“I would like to think, given a matter of such grave importance, that my fellow Champions would not be foolish enough to let politics blind them,” Mirabu said.

“Then the Phoenix Clan is fortunate that you do not rule them alone,” Taeruko replied.

Mirabu flinched, as if the Master of Earth’s words had struck him a physical blow. Even worse, he realized that her harsh words rang with honesty. Mirabu was an honorable man, but the world of politics was no place for honorable men. He knew why the Phoenix had truly chosen him as Champion. His record as soldier was admirable. The Shiba respected him, but he had no expertise in politics – they wanted a Champion they could easily control. It was his duty and honor to stand as Champion of the Phoenix, but each time the Council undermined his authority he felt another piece of himself slip away.

Mirabu bowed his head. “I am sorry to have wasted your time, samas,” he said in a low voice. “It was presumptuous of me to doubt your wisdom.”

“In times of crisis the greatest among us often stumble,” Akiko replied. “The Council and the Champion must rule the Phoenix together. For that to work smoothly, we must understand one another. You deserved an explanation.”

“Even if to do so wasted time we do not have,” Taeruko added sharply.

“Then I shall waste no more of your time,” Mirabu replied. “I will organize the guard and begin restoring order in the city.”

“No, Mirabu-san,” Taeruko answered. “Your talents are required elsewhere.”

Mirabu lifted his head, regarding the Masters curiously.

“The ritual that now protects our lands gives us a certain awareness of all that transpires within them,” Akiko replied. “Ningen has noticed a disturbing silence from the south. The shugenja in Toshi no Omoidoso have ceased praying.”

“What does this mean?” Mirabu asked.

“We do not know,” Taeruko replied. “Take your soldiers and find out.”

“It means that the City of Remembrance has been destroyed,” said a voice from the rear of the chamber.” The shoji screen slid open with a crack and a tall man in blood red robes strode into the chamber. His hair was a ghostly white, marked with black streaks at the temples. He bore a white mask under one arm, marked on the forehead with the symbol of the rising sun.

“Sezaru-san,” Taeruko said, eyes widening at his sudden arrival. “This is most irregular.”

Sezaru sneered. “Did it take you all night to realize that, Taeruko?” he snapped.

“We thought you were on your way to Toshi Ranbo, Sezaru-san,” Akiko said. “Was it not your duty to warn the Emperor?”

“Naseru has his warning, and my protection,” Sezaru said. “I returned when I sensed the silence in the City of Remembrance.”

“What has happened there?” Mirabu asked quickly, voice tinged with fear for his people.

“A ship of Mantis pirates invaded, Tainted by the Blood Rain,” Sezaru said. “I require aid.”

“I wish that we could give it,” Taeruko replied, “but my power is drained, as is Akiko’s. We can do nothing.”

“I did not return for you,” Sezaru said flatly. He looked at Mirabu, no longer paying any attention to the Council. “Do you have fifty honorable and loyal men to join us in the City of Remembrance? I have already seen that the protective ritual has no power there. We must fight in the rain.”

“You have been in the blood rain, Sezaru?” Akiko asked, horrified.

Sezaru looked at the Master of Water with a grim smile. “I silenced my inner demons years ago, Akiko. This Bloodspeaker magic holds no terror for me.” He looked back at Mirabu. “Do you have fifty such men?”

“I do,” Mirabu said.

“How long will it take to gather them?” he asked.

“Ten minutes,” Mirabu replied.

“Then hurry,” Sezaru replied. “The City of Remembrance burns even as we speak.”

“Hai, Sezaru-sama,” Mirabu replied, bowing deeply to the Emperor’s brother. A surge of confidence filled him as he exited the Council Chamber. Finally he was doing something for the good of his clan. Finally he felt useful again. As he passed into the room beyond, Yoma fell into step beside him.

“My lord, what happened?” Yoma asked. “Sezaru did not explain.”

“Yoma, are you ready to risk your life for the Phoenix?” Mirabu asked.

“Always,” Yoma said without question.

“What of your soul?” Mirabu asked.

“Hai,” Yoma replied without pause.

“Then follow me,” he said. “To the City of Remembrance.”

“Toshi no Omoidoso?” Yoma replied, surprised. “That lies on the far end of Phoenix lands. We can never arrive there in one night.”

Mirabu looked at Yoma and said a single word. “Sezaru.”

Yoma nodded in understanding and followed his lord.

Mirabu felt a thickening, a pulse in the elements. The universe seemed to fold itself in around him and his vision faded. For many minutes he saw nothing, felt nothing. An odd chill crept into his skin; a strange burning echoed from his heart. For a time, he feared that Sezaru’s spell had failed, then he felt the rain upon his face and Lady Moon smiled down from the sky. The smell of smoke and crackle of flames surrounded him. He could hear screaming from somewhere, accompanied by mad, inhuman roars.

The rain covered Mirabu’s face, warm and strangely sticky. He felt it crawl into his skin, felt the eerie power of the Bloodspeaker maho as it clawed for his soul. He staggered as waves of doubt overwhelm him. Images of other great Phoenix leaders flashed through his mind – Ujimitsu, Tsukune, Aikune. The whispers in his soul mocked him. He would never surpass them, they said. He would never be their equal. He was doomed to be forgotten.

“What is glory to a Phoenix?” Mirabu whispered. “We are eternal. I do what I do for my people, not for myself. Seek another soul, dark spirits, mine already belongs to my clan.”

He heard an audible hiss, and the power of the rain retreated from him. Mirabu stood, tall and strong. His fellow Shiba appeared around him, fading into being as if through a fog. Some of them also stumbled as the rain struck them. Yoma appeared beside him and fell to his knees, covering his face in his hands. Mirabu place a hand on his kinsman’s shoulder, steadying him.

“Focus, sons and daughters of Shiba!” Mirabu shouted above the rain. “Fight for your souls so that we may save our people!”

Yoma pulled his hands from his face and looked up at his lord. Blood streamed over his face, spilling from the corners of his eyes like tears. ‘I was not ready for this, Mirabu,” he said, his hands shaking. “I am not strong enough.”

“You do not stand alone,” Mirabu said. “Fight it, Yoma!”

“A samurai cannot serve two masters,” Yoma said, as if in a daze. “Too many secrets…”

“Then would you cast all that away, Yoma?” Mirabu asked. “Would you give your soul away, and fail the masters you have sworn to serve?”

Yoma looked up at Mirabu suddenly, his gaze coming into sharp focus. “No, my lord,” he said. “I would never fail the Masters.”

“Then stand up, Yoma,” Mirabu said, drawing his sword. “Stand up, all of you! Tonight we fight for the City of Remembrance!”

A defiant cry echoed through the ranks of the Shiba soldiers. Not a single one had fallen to the blood rain’s temptation. Mirabu turned to survey the street, and saw Sezaru standing beside him. The blood rain streamed over the Wolf but left no mark upon his hair or robe – Mirabu felt almost as if the Bloodspeaker magic feared what is found within him.

“Impressive,” Sezaru replied. “The Council chose wisely when they chose you, Mirabu.”

Mirabu bowed, acknowledging the Wolf’s compliment. “When you were here before, did you find any survivors?” he asked.

Sezaru nodded. “The city is not without defenders,” Sezaru replied. “Six blocks from here, a band of magistrates led by Moto Najmudin make their final stand in a Temple of Daikoku. With them stands the legendary Matsu Hitomi. There, they have gathered the survivors for a final defense, but they will not survive long. The fallen Mantis are ruthless, and some among our own clan have joined them. I glimpsed Isawa Nodotai fighting at Kitao’s side, as well as some others.”

“Nodotai,” Yoma said with a grimace. “I do not relish the prospect of standing against him.”

“Will you fight beside us, Sezaru-sama?” Mirabu asked.

“That is up to you,” the Wolf replied. “You are, after all, my daimyo. I can stand with you and fight the Mantis, and together I assure you we will not be defeated. Or, you can fight alone while I journey to the other daimyos and show them how to protect their people from this rain.”

Mirabu frowned. “The Council said that such swift travel was not possible.”

“It is impossible,” Sezaru replied. “For them. Now make your choice. Each moment is more souls lost.”

“Save the Empire, Sezaru,” Mirabu said. “We will save the city.”

Sezaru bowed in acknowledgment, and was gone.

“This will be a difficult battle without Sezaru’s magic,” Yoma said after the Wolf was gone.

“Then let us begin,” Mirabu said, holding his sword high. “For the Phoenix!”

Marumoto
Gokenin

Message par Marumoto » 26 janv. 2004, 12:39

Nodotai Nodotai Nodotaaiiii
:champomy:
:evil:

Isawa Nodotai
4/6
-/13/1
Phoenix clan fire shugenja - Mantis clan - Kitao's friend - shadowland - double chi - exp.2 - unique.
All ranged attacks from card in Nodotai's army are increased by 1.

Kuni Tomoe
Moine

Message par Kuni Tomoe » 26 janv. 2004, 12:40

T'as oublié la capa de son xp, je le veux bien Mante xp 2 avec la même capa et - en HR.
"De toute facon, essayer de corrompre les Scorpions, c'est comme essayer de mouiller l'eau..."

Marumoto
Gokenin

Message par Marumoto » 26 janv. 2004, 12:41

nan.. NAN !!

Moto Shikizu
Gouverneur de cité

Message par Moto Shikizu » 26 janv. 2004, 12:57

Matsu Hitomi ? mais qu'est ce qu'elle fait la dedans ? elle n'etait pas repartie a Yomi ni morte depuis le temps ?

Najmudin qui defend la City of Rememberance, pas mal, je ne le voyais pas dans ce coinn de l'Empire mais plutot sur les terres crabes d'apres certains flavors.

sinon, je trouve l'histoire un tout petit peu moins bien que les autres, Mirabu qui sauve ses soldats par son discours, Sezaru qui peut tout faire mieux que le conseil, Mirabu qui choisit de combattre avec ses soldats pour que Sezaru puisse prevenir les autres Daymios, c'est cool, mais il n'y a pas la force des autres par exemple du precedent avec Kitao...
Moto Shikizu
White Guard - Emerald Magistrate
--------------
Hito wa ichidai, na wa matsudai
---------------------------------------
Nagareru namida wa mou karehate
chi ni ueta kodoku
shi wa tenshi no nikoge no
nioi wo sasete mau

Eiki
Servant

Message par Eiki » 26 janv. 2004, 13:03

Matsu Hitomi est revenu pdt les spirit war, elle a une dent contre un Maho Tsukai ( je sais plus qui c'est mais c'est pas godaigo ^^) et à donc décider de rester à la City of Rememberance en attendant qu'il revienne ( car il avait dit qu'il détruirait la citée avant de mourir ou un truc comme ca)

Asako Keitaro
Samurai

Message par Asako Keitaro » 30 janv. 2004, 00:30

J'avais pas pris le temps de la lire celle là... Mirabu c'est un bon leader, dommage que sa carte soit si pourrie...
Asako Keitaro*Phoenix Clean*Maho-Tsukaï Hunter*Master of the Little Allumettes
---------------------------
I keep an eye on you

Shibatsu NainB?cile
Ashigaru

Message par Shibatsu NainB?cile » 30 janv. 2004, 09:08

La carte n'est pas pourrie...mais inutile pour les archétypes du phénix actuellement. (honnor rocket, Dragons et kyuden agasha spells).
Il est sympa dans les decks suicides, mais 14 d'or en phénix ça fait quand même beaucoup.

Répondre